Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Paradise Found

Or the title I almost chose:

National Lampoon's Redfish Vacation

This is where we have been.

Looks like just another common beach scene, until you see the big picture.

Especially the really big picture.

We have been at Redfish Lake in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho, about 1 hour north of Sun Valley. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been. When you see the turquoise water and sandy beach you almost feel like you're at a tropical ocean paradise, but then you also have the splendor of high mountain peaks and a lush pine forest.

The above pictures were taken from Outlet Beach (my personal favorite spot), but we also spent time at the beach and docks in front of the lodge.

The kids loved tubing and being on my cousin's boat (thanks Shantay & Sam)!

When we weren't at the beach, we spent time checking out the local geography. There are many scenic rivers and lakes in the area. Like Little Redfish lake.

And Stanley Lake.

OK, now that I've shared the good, I'll share the bad and the ugly. We camped. In a tent (actually 2 tents) with our 4 kids. It was a lot of work. Especially with a 1 year old. I am pretty sure we were the Griswalds of the campground - National Lampoon's Redfish Vacation version. We had the toddler who screamed in the middle of the night, the dog that wouldn't stop barking and oodles of kids (ours, as well as their cousins) running around. Before we left home, our 4 year old swallowed a penny. On the 4th day of the trip the penny finally made it's way out. Of course we celebrated - no more searching through his "business". "Sparky" (a.k.a. the hubster) was the happy camper who found it. I'll spare you that picture. There were also injuries - bruises, stitches & passing out. And of course, a lot of DIRT. Had to buy Oxy-Clean in bulk.

But it was totally worth it. LOVED visiting with family we don't get to see often enough. And the scenery, well you can see for yourself. GORGEOUS.

6 comments:

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Welcome home! I missed you :) It is so cool to see the photos of your holiday. We are in the tail end of winter here and it makes me smile to see the photos of summer. We are planning a camping trip this summer... your blog reminds me why!

Trina said...

Sounds like a lot of good memories though. That is beautiful!

Beth at Aunties said...

Lets go back! Dad said it was a Kodak picture everywhere we looked.
The kids had a great time....DIRT... and all!
Your pictures turned out great!

heidivee said...

Ok, you are officially the trooper of the century. Seriously, I grumbled and whined about ONE NIGHT of tent camping. How did you do it??? You rock, sista. Great photos. Gorgeous. Maybe if I were camping there, I could do it for TWO nights! I want to go to that beach!!
Who passed out, and who got stitches??? Glad you guys made it home all in one piece. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos. :) And for making me feel like a "whiner baby." :)

Amanda said...

How fun! Never heard of this place but we will definitely have to check it out! Beautiful scenery and sandy beaches--could it get any better? Camping is exhausting with kids but it's always worth all the dirt!

Jamie said...

Wow, now I'm REALLY bummed we missed out. I've never seen pictures before. That place is GORGEOUS!